Thursday, April 21, 2011

I Have a Fashion Handicap


I am many things, but a fashionista I am not. I just that, I don't "get it". I browse through high-fashion magazines and giggle at the ridiculousness of some of the poses, giddups and designs. I'm a very laid back type of person. It's not that I don't iron my clothes or that I run around in sweatpants and ponytails....er...at least there are SOME days that I don't. ;) .....but I can't for the life of me keep up with what trends and fashions are.


Not that I really care to. I don't think.

I just simply don't get it!

The other day I was at TJ Maxx returning some highheels I bought to go with my Easter skirt. I had the shoes at home and had "practiced" walking in my high heels for two days and came to the conclusion that Jesus being raised from the dead on Easter is excitement enough; I shall not sacrafice my life and take my chances to hope for such a miracle on my behalf. So, I returned the perchy little things and found myself at a loss standing there in the shoe aisle. Accessing all the options before me-they were all either too high, too colorful or too flat, to wierd or open toed. Geez. I really was at a loss. Almost on the verge of being frustrated.

I needed someone's help. I looked around. Not at shoes, but at people- accessing the choices. Not the old lady dressed like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company. Not the old man with fuzzy toes hanging off the edge of his flipflops. Not the man with blue fingernail polish and orange dreadlocks putting the shoes I had just returned back on the shelf. I stood for a second tuning into to the conversation of the ladies on the size 7 aisle. I casually made it to the aisle showcasing size 7- to spy out what the lady was wearing and what she was buying. He-he ;) She passed muster.

I said, "Um. Excuse me." All three ladies looked up from their lacing and buckling of potential shoe purchases. I smiled. They stared- curiously.

"Can I ask your opinion? I'm completely lost when it comes to putting together shoes and accessories." (I felt like I was really interfering and began to ramble, like I tend to do when I'm nervous) " YOu see, I have a multicolored skirt and white battenburg lace top for Easter, but I have no idea what color of shoes to wear? There's white sandals in my size but they seemed to casual with the battenburg lace and I..." The middle lady instantly took charge. "What size? Tell me about your skirt and top."

The lady walked right over and grabbed a pair of nudey/beige heels with a modest size bow on the toe. "These are perfect! THey go with everything! Even black!"

"Really?" I ask in bewilderment, because I had passed those shoes 15 times over- thinking they were exactly what I didn't need.

"Absolutely! Nude is the new black!"

"Oh. I thought plum was the new black." I shyly said.

She informed me that plum was last years black. It changed this spring. Oh yes, silly me!  Then she filled me in on my newly prized shoes being "all the rage and totally versatile too!" ( I was beginning to wonder if she was making a commission off the shoes!?) She said I can wear them with everything. Especially black (apparently that's a trend) but she said something about NOT wearing them with other solid colors because I would want my accessories to "pop" in that case.

For the record-The only thing in my wardrobe that ever pops is buttons....but I didn't feel the need to tell her that. ;)

"Of course." I mumbled and nodded energetically like the good pupil that I am. I made a mental note: Nude is good. *ha!*
Yes, I'm totally lost. But I wholeheartedly took her advice and am hoping that she doesn't have a hobby of giving unsuspecting dorks bad advice in the shoe aisle. The bow endowed toes have me a tad nervous. She asked about my accessories.....or my lack thereof....she was nice and eager to help. I let her go back to trying on the 10 story high heeled sandles she was still carrying around. Her friends nodded and waved a happy farewell to the imposing fashion dork. ;)
I got home and put on my Easter outfit and strutted my stuff to my girls. My daughter TOTALLY dissed the wide brimmed white hat. I put it back in its box....but kept on my bowey shoes to help stretch them out. Then I changed back into my sweatpants and tshirt. ;)


I know the point of Easter is nothing to do with clothes, fashion or trends. I am totally there with you on that!
But, I figure if I'm going to buy something I want to purchase responsibly and get the most bang for my buck....and I'm just lost. Totally lost about all this fashionista stuff. I'm thankful for ladies who are eager to help, and grateful that I found shoes that I can walk in...without upping my life insurance!


So, to all my friends- I'm wishing you a "nude" Easter!! Ha!


Shine All Your Light,


Cass

4 comments:

  1. I can picture the whole thing and I am laughing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cass, You are so funny. *smile* Oh my goodness. I found a great place for cute shoes with high heel look, say......1 1/4 inch high heel but cute. Coward Shoes has some cute ones and so does Amerimark. Now you have to LOOK. Some of the shoes are for the grandmotherly type but that has never kept me from finding nice classic shoes there yet. Even when I was in Highschool I shopped at Naturalizer from time to time.

    Amerimark has great clearance shoes too. Check it out, message me if you want to know what all I have. I have one tried and true I even blogged about on thats italian blogspot. They are a bit of the 40s look, very cute and can be worn without hose without killing your feet. I think they are called "Fran" on Coward shoes.

    You can watch for their free shipping days. Amerimark's prices aren't that bad and Coward has decent sales. Both have clearances...Sign up for emails and you're set to go.

    You're a hoot, enjoyed the post greatly! Ha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cass, it's me again. ; ) Have you heard of the 333 project? Check it out...Also there is a blog, The Gardener's Cottage. She does the 333 project much of the time and blogs her simple outfit, home and wardrobe. The 333 project is a simple wardrobe, picking 33 items of clothes for 3 months. It helps you pick basics that you love. I'm not doing the 333 but am learning about simplifying my wardrobe. It's intriguing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit that I try really really hard to be fashionable but I am not. Well atleast I never feel like I am. I always feel slightly uncomfortable and like I just didn't get it quite right. I am much more comfy in my pj's at home. I don't wear them out of the house though. :)

    ReplyDelete