Monday, April 25, 2011

Birthday Police, Easter and Second Chances

I love second chances. So many times I have the best of intentions and never get to follow through with them. Eight years ago I bought a book called, "Stories For Five Year Olds" with the intention of reading it to my daughter Sarah before her sixth birthday. She is now 13. We've never read the book.

However, Jakey is 5. And....I've never forgot the book. Nor my intentions. 

So, although I reassured Jake that I COULD read him the book after he's six....he's quite concerned that we don't waste a single moment and make sure the book is completed....he doesn't want to come up to the threshold of turning six and have the birthday police revoke his advancement due to an unfinished book about being five. *LOL* I really don't know WHAT he thinks will happen- but he finds it imperative that we forge through this book at a healthy pace. Just in case. Because, you just never know how those darn birthday police will throw around their weight! *grin*
Saturday was my day to celebrate Easter with my little one(s). My "big" ones weren't so interested in egg hunts and kiddy activities so Jakey and I headed out alone to our first Helicopter Egg Drop. Yes, that's right. A helicopter drops eggs by gazillions onto a ball field and then kids run and pick them up. ( I just did some point and shoot pictures on Saturday...I went as a mommy not a photographer)
The event was hosted by a local church and had a lot of activities for the community to participate in. The activity I enjoyed the most was the mime worship group "Silent Praise". They acted out several songs but right now the only one I remember is "I Can Only Imagine". I think it's a great outreach ministry- people were intriqued by their movements- and were able to hear about Christ through it.

Silent Praise at the end of I Can Only Imagine

Notice how full the helicopter is with bags of plastic eggs! I heard they had 27,000 eggs on the field!


Before the egg drop- I got up really early on Saturday morning and did a literature distribution and tract crusade with church. We had the objective of knocking on 2,000 doors in 6 neighborhoods in four hours. We walked and walked. We knocked and knocked. We invtied. We smiled. We talked. We walked and walked. We prayed with a few people- and tried to encourage folks in a variety of situations: cancer, divorce, sons overseas in the war, death of loved ones, sick grandchildren, defaulted mortgages. You know, it was good for me to get out of my bubble and knock on doors and see face to face- eye to eye the people of the community. I haven't done hardly any door to door evangelism in my life. I've done a lot of outreach and activites- but this is something I didn'thave a lot of experience with. But when it comes to talking....that I can do.  : )  At one point, I was reminded ...."Cass, we have 1700 more doors to knock on this morning" :)
The whole outing was really heart touching. We came across some rude folks- and some people who had churches and prior plans....but for the most part, foks were kind and willing to talk (and most importantly- listen) for a spell. Two people stick out in my mind....sad stories...open hearts....and  we were there to tell them that Jesus came so that humanity could have a second chance. I was so inspired after our tract crusade. It's good to remember there are still spiritually hungry people out there...people that just need us to set aside our agendas and make the time to reach out to them. 

In Other News:

  • I'm excited about a new business proposition. More to come.
  • In 34 days my son will be an adult.
  • A trip with my kids to Wilmington is in the planning stages
  • I have a maternity shoot this upcoming weekend -which I'm excited about
  • I'm planning a surprise luau birthday party 
  • I'm working on a scrapbook to give my son of his childhood- including letters of memories and best wishes from various people in his life.
  • I've discovered basil pesto.
  • Are you aware of the endless attributes and possibilities of basil pesto?!!!!?
  • My girls and I are going to a Mother Daugther Banquet and we've invited my sons girlfriend. I'm excited about that. <3
  • My 28-300 lens is messed up :( I'm praying for the Tamron fairy to come and bless it, heal it, fix it...whatever it takes without me having to spend money.
Take advantages of those Second Chances....and Shine All Your Light.

Cass


3 comments:

  1. :) That helicopter looks way to close to the kids for my comfort! LOL! I am not a fan of big flying objects though. I can see how a boy would think that's cool. Love "the birthday police".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey There Cass, That going door to door sounds so neat Cass...Oh things like that is what it's all about right? : ) It sounds like you had one of those wonderful, wonderful weekends...Full of good memories.

    I've never heard of dropping eggs from a helicopter! Oh my! That is cute! I bet Jakie loved it!

    ryc...The acreage sounds so fun. Isn't it a great feeling to be digging around and smelling that great earth smell? Love it.

    The church you attend sounds good, at least they care about other souls. It is so true, people just want a listening ear. With facebook and everything else no one even has time to email anymore a decent note it seems. Everything seems so shallow, just little blips. Just blips. Even in our homeschool support group it's hard to find merciful people who care about the Lord and what the Lord cares about, others especially. It made me sad when we moved out here because there are some who don't even have time to come say hello, or bring a plate of cookies to greet us but they have time for their church services and all of that and the committees. Their girls have come to VOH and have partaken of things we offer... poor Mar. is so burnt out on it all, you know how people are...unappreciative many times. All of that to say, I think that church sounds very nice in contrast to most.

    Well, it looks like I wrote quite a bit here, enjoyed the chat! : ) Thanks for coming by the FC Ranch homestead. ; ) The coffee is always on dear friend.

    Love you, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not surprised that the one and only mime song you can remember is one that Amy Grant sings. :D

    I love basil pesto. :)))

    I can't believe Gabe is almost officially a grown up. When did that happen. Better read that book to Jake s-l-o-w so it might stall his birthday...don't want him to grow up too fast.

    Sounds like you had a really great weekend and Easter. :)

    ReplyDelete