Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Land That I Love


I have said this before- growing up- patriotism was taught, lived and bequeathed. Honestly, if you had to ask me (as a child) who was the MOST like Jesus....my answer would have been Ronald Reagan. I was quite sure he was able to walk on water- if the need arose. 


 Ronald Reagan was the epitome of Americanism in my grandmother's eyes....he came from nothing and became a leader of the free world and....he was a cowboy. He was Jesus and John Wayne personified in one body. Truly.  At least, that's how it seemed.

                                  

   


Anyhow, a thread of patriotism  runs in my blood as richly as caffeine and is a life line. I can succumb to tears at the sight of a military man in fatigues, a flag on a headstone, the reading of "We the People", or the faintest whisper of Taps. I have an unquenchable appetite for American History especially the Wild West, Oregon Trail, Gold Rush and founding of California. At one time I was convinced that I was going to name my first born Wyatt....and was going to call him Wyatt Twerp.


My love for this country only grows. My heart will always swell with pride and love when hearing The Star Spangled Banner. I will always be proud of the Red, White and Blue...from sea to shining sea, the land of the brave and the home of the free.



One of my favorite Reagan quotes: "The poet called Miss Liberty's torch 'the lamp beside the golden door.' Well, that was the entrance to America, and it still is. And now you really know why we're here tonight. The glistening hope of that lamp is still ours. Every promise, every opportunity, is still golden in this land. And through that golden door our children can walk into tomorrow with the knowledge that no one can be denied the promise that is America. Her heart is full; her torch is still golden, her future bright. She has arms big enough to comfort and strong enough to support, for the strength in her arms is the strength of her people. She will carry on in the '80s unafraid, unashamed, and unsurpassed. In this springtime of hope, some lights seem eternal; America's is."


 Keep shinin' America,

Cass


4 comments:

  1. your house looks lovely! I love all the decorations! I think the decor of the 4th is stuff I like the most! Hope you had happy Independence day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the decorations! and even more? your patriotism. your love of this great country...and the people in it. THAT i know from experience. :)

    i loved ronald reagan too. and so when he died i took my kids to his funeral procession, it was as close as i could get them to a president who i admired...and now that i'm older, respect deeply.

    we stood with famous phil what's his name from nbc, i didn't recognize him. ha. and he taught us the best places to stand and where to keep our eyes as the cars drove past. we saw nancy and she waved at us. or the crowd. but i think it was us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this inspiring post, it restores my faith that there are still people out there who love America and pray for her continued success! Dan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this inspiring post, it restores my faith that there are still people out there who love America and pray for her continued success! Dan

    ReplyDelete