Monday, July 12, 2010

Girl On The Go

I have soooo many wonderful adventures to share...and you just have no idea how many times I have sat down to write a blog to share all of these adventures and end up out of time, sidetracked or just plum tired. :)

News from the homefront is: I've recently returned from a 5 day trip to my SIL's in Ohio. I'm amazed at the amount of sleeping I did while there!
I'm pretty much over my detoxing. I've been caffeine free for over a month now. I am no longer experiencing erratic mood swings, irritability or sleepiness. (seriously, for the first three weeks of no caff- I was taking 2 naps a day!)On the bright side-My friends are coming back around too! (LOL)

So, since I'm safe to be in public again-last Saturday I photographed a wedding. I wish I could say that I was all pumped, excited and confident about it...but that was the farthest thing from the truth. I was really nervous and feeling very incompetent. The wedding was for close friends who assured me they would be happy with the outcome. My sister Kim helped me and we even cut Rebekah (my 14 year old) loose with a Canon Rebel to get some candids at the reception.
About half way into the wedding I realized why wedding photographers have 2 cameras. You have to be instantaneous-by the time you change a lens- you've lost the moment. A once in a lifetime moment. Talk about a knot in your stomach!


Jeffrey & Britney got married in a beautiful, rural stone church out in the middle of the boondocks. My dad was the officiating minister.

The ceremony was lovely.


I was really franticly nervous about the lighting in the church. I'm not equipped with studio lighting. For that matter-I can barely operate my SB-600 properly!


There were lot's of smiles and a few tears during the ceremony, happy tears are always welcome.







In Other News:

After the wedding on Saturday- I got up at 6 AM Sunday to go to the largest gathering of Highland Games in the world!The Grandfather Mountain Highland Games are hosted right here in North Carolina( a 2.5 hour drive). The event was wonderful! And fascinating!


The event reminded me of the Renaissance Festival....because you see a little bit of everything from the....wacky and wonderful to the completely weird. LOL.


There were characters of all kinds....even the trees boasted their scot heritage! It seemed to me that there were more people there dressed in kilts and tartans than not. It was really fun- and my friend Dale was just itching to buy a kilt. LOL. If you knew Dale- you'd know WHY this makes me literally roll in laughter, because I could soooo see him walking around the place in a kilt, matching socks and a hat with the little red ball bouncing on top of his head. I can see it in my head...and I do believe that's enough. (grin)


The pipers and drummers were awesome. I love the heritage and history in the parade of bagpipers and drummers in their kilts. It was wonderful!



We watched the highland dancers compete while we sat eating scottish shortbread.


These girls were here in NC all the way from Chicago


This band was incredibly talented and energetic. The lady on the fiddle never missed a lick and I wish I could have recorded the bass player. He was one of the best bass players I've ever heard.

I'm not sure that this guy didn't realize that these were "games"....he was pretty intense!

My nephew graduated highschool last month...and at the same time Jakey graduated preschool. :)


Well, I have many more adventures to share----and more in the making! I hope that everyone is happy and well!

Shine All Your Light,
Cass

4 comments:

  1. That is a horrible picture of your mother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anonymous- unless you are my mother....how dare you be so rude. :(

    -Cass

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your good, very good. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, Cas.....what a great job you did on the wedding pictures....at least the ones shown here! I would love to see more!
    The Highland Games were here last week-end too. Our son-in-law takes part in the SCA (Society of Creative Acronyms) each year. It is midieval sword fighting. They (and we) have a Scottish heritage. Very, very fun....those Highland games. I love the pics you took!
    I'm so glad you are here. I have moved to blogspot too and plan to close my xanga account in the near future....after I put all of my posts for the past four years on CD).
    Blessings to you, dear friend! (((hugs)))
    Jana

    ReplyDelete