Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lolly-Gaggin' Mountain Style: Mabry Mills


On Sunday morning I woke up early and headed to the mountains with a gaggle of photography friends. Our first stop (on the parkway) of several that day (not counting the potty breaks) was Mabry Mills on the Blue Ridge Parkway. Mabry Mills is one of the most photographed locations in America- and definately one of the best loved stops along the Blue Ridge parkway. The weather was GORGEOUS. I love that we happened to be there on a day that they were doing some demonstrations of life at the mill during the early 1900's.
The lighting inside this building was nil. So, as you can see by the resolution of the picture I have my ISO jacked up pretty high. This is the Blacksmith giving a demonstration of the tools and farming implements the Mabry owner would have forged on his own. Blacksmithing always fascinates me.

Is it just me, or does this look like a painting? I just love this photograph! I want a spinning wheel soooo bad...one of those other fascinations of mine. I spoke with this lady at length about spinning, carding and dying the wools and fibers. One day I will be posting pics of my own wheel. ;)


 
Pretty


Under the Sluicebox

If you know me you know that I'm not a risk taker. I don't think "out of the box", I cross the street at crosswalks, I don't wear white shoes after Labor Day and I certainly never ignore a fence for the sake of a picture...  Well, at least I used to be able to say that. :) I have a friend who is always encouraging me to press the envelope, try a new perspective, different angle, think out of the box...and that's how the above picture came to be. I climbed down beneath the sluice box (yes, the sluice box that was dripping water) and got this picture. It's not a great picture, but I like it for the simple reason that I am seeing the mill from a different angle-from a point of view that I wouldn't have experienced if I stayed on the paved walkway. Ya know? So, the grass isn't always "greener on the otherside" but the view sure is different!



This old car was in the parking lot




This is one of my favorite pictures from the afternoon I like the contrast of colors, the rust, the composition and the crop. You don't have to agree...in fact, Sarah thought it was a pumpkin with a light stuck to the stem.



Another favorite from the day...this is called Queen Anne's Lace

The fall leaves are already vibrant and gorgeous




I took this picture from the van window as we left the parking lot.


Tomorrow, I will try to post more pictures from the next stop of the day- Chateau Morisette.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful photos. You have such a great eye.

    Thanks for driving. It was beautiful weather, and lots of fun with friends.

    Your photos are inspiring me to get out there more. I hadn't taken a lot of photos in a while, but these got me itchin to get out there more.

    ReplyDelete