Friday, May 28, 2010

An Antebellum Timewarp



This is a post I've wanted to do for quite sometime...and I figure Memorial Day is as fitting of time, as any, to honor the American Flag. Actually, everyday is a day to honor the heritage, hope and freedom that the American Flag symbolizes...but I'll spare you my patriotic speech. :)

For those of you who know my blog- but not me- I grew up in California (mostly). However, I have lived in the south since 1992. If you've ever visited the south you know that if you have a porch- you have a flag. It may not always be an American flag, it may be one of those designer doo-dawdy flags...and more times than not- a confederate flag. (fyi:On my street of about 12 homes there are two confederate flags flying...that's how common they are....or, maybe it's just that I live in redneckville.)






So for this California girl- the whole southern tradition of flag flying was new and intriquing.
And the porches....oh my, the southern porches are phenomenal. Charleston, Savannah, Wilmington, Atlanta, Richmond and many, many, many small towns inbetween boast of beautiful detailed woodwork, tons of dental-teeth molding, wide-welcoming steps, ornate gates and fences all softened by ferns, begonias and the beckoning creak of a porch swing in motion...and more times than not- a flag dutifully, beautifully snapping in the breeze.



As I walk through the old southern towns with the touristy carriages clopping down cobblestone drives- sometimes it's easy to be era-less...and to be caught up in an antebellum timewarp of southern hospitality and traditions.
All of these pictures were taken in Wilmington last month...I will do another "Porch and Flag Post" for July 4th.

Have a fun and safe weekend! Fly a flag, honor a veteran and above all- Shine All Your Light!!

-Cass

2 comments:

  1. Love these images, and the words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, yes, YES! I am loving the porches, oh yes indeedie. Perfect timing sister!

    We're trying to figure out how to "do" the porch at the forest cathedral...This is wonderful...

    Thanks for sharing... Looking forward to more!

    Love, ~Amelia

    ReplyDelete