Monday, April 26, 2010

Like, duh.




This weekend I learned that the life of a photographer has been highly overrated and glamorized. : ) That's right. I know. Shocking! {rolling eyes} I'm so clueless sometimes. I shared my revelation with a friend and she said, "Like, duh! It's a passion- and any money or fame you earn from it is sheer luck." I dont want fame, but, "like, duh!" money would be nice.
Last weekend I shot a writers festival at the Jamestown library. The event was nice with authors, poetry reading, book signings, demonstrations and lots of chit-chat and intermingling. I was grateful that I was asked to photograph the event, because it made me get out and do something out of the box.I thoroughly enjoyed the morning in the library.


Photobucket
The library is a restored public school house that was built in the early 20th century. The original wood floors are still intact- and put off that warm golden glow when the sun shines through the windows. There's something to be said about being surrounded by tall cases of books- I'm not sure whats to be said about it- but- there's definately something to be said!

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

I also attended another photoshoot on Tuesday night. It was knock your socks off awesome. I sorta float from one cluster of photographers to the other at these big events- watching, listening and miming what they say to do. (that's how I learn....I soak it in and then try it) I was so inspired after I left that I came home and tried more lighting technics. It's so much easier with a pro standing over your shoulder than by yourself!! :)Our photo group has some awesome guys (and gals) in it that are so willing to demonstrate and teach thier techniques and share their knowledge.....it's like revival to the photogs soul. ;)



Photobucket

On Saturday, I passed an antique store and just had to turn around, and do a second take of the very special sale they had going on. It was a POLLEN SALE...anything with pollen on it was 35% off. :) Basicly, EVERYTHING was on sale!

I will be updating from the road. I'm spending the weekend with friends on Oak Island. I promise lots of fun pics from our weekend. :) We plan to rent bikes, tour a plantation, see some lighthouses and do nothing but eat, read and sleep and snap pictures. Because, like, duh! I need the downtime.

2 comments: